Frequently Asked Questions
- 01. Can I get on a commercial aircraft carrying my Leatherman tool?
- 02. Where does the Leatherman name come from?
- 03. Why should I buy a Leatherman tool?
- 04. How does the Leatherman warranty work?
- 05. I can't live without my Leatherman for even a day. Can you just send me the parts I need?
- 06. I'm from outside North America and I want to buy a Leatherman tool. Do you sell tools outside the United States?
- 07. Can I have a different blade installed in my Leatherman tool?
- 08. Is Leatherman interested in my idea for a new product or feature?
- 09. I've had my Leatherman for a very long time and the belt sheath is just about worn out. How can I get a replacement?
- 10. Can I buy stock in Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.?
- 11. All the blades on one handle of my Super Tool have been accidentally locked open. How can I get them unlocked?
01. Can I get on a commercial aircraft carrying my Leatherman tool?
UPDATED October 30, 2015:
Some Leatherman products are crafted to follow TSA specifications for a carry-on item. Those products are listed below. Other Leatherman products may be stowed in checked luggage that travels in the cargo area.
The following Leatherman products comply with current TSA regulations for carry-on items:
- Hail + Style PS
- Jam + Style PS
- Mako Ti
- Style PS
Leatherman’s travel-friendly products are specially designed to conform to regulations for commonly restricted areas and have successfully traveled through security at airports, theme parks, government buildings, schools, sporting events, and concerts throughout the world. They have been greeted not only with acceptance, but also with genuine interest and even excitement.
Please note: Before carrying any Leatherman product on a flight or into any other restricted area, refer to the organization’s published sharp object policy for your own protection. Security agents, such as TSA representatives, have full discretion over allowable items for the safety of all passengers and international laws may vary.
Current TSA policies are posted here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items. Leatherman does not warranty tools that are lost, stolen, or confiscated.
02. Where does the Leatherman name come from?
Our tools bear the name of our founder Tim Leatherman, who invented the original Pocket Survival Tool, now known as the PST.
03. Why should I buy a Leatherman tool?
Tim Leatherman's standards for quality, durability, precision and attention to detail are what make Leatherman tools like no other. Ever since Tim invented the category, we've focused on just one thing - manufacturing the world's highest quality multipurpose tools.
04. How does the Leatherman warranty work?
Our warranty is simple. You broke it, we'll fix it. No questions, no hassles, no wasting your time. Just go to the Warranty page on www.leatherman.com/support-warranty.html and print/fill out the form provided there, put it and your tool (NO SHEATH PLEASE) in the mail to us and we'll fix/replace your tool and send it back to you for free. If you are from outside the US/Canada, please go to this same place on the web site and select the country you live in and send your tool to that country's distributor. They act as the warranty agent for Leatherman in that country.
05. I can't live without my Leatherman for even a day. Can you just send me the parts I need?
Our products are designed to be disassembled by factory-trained technicians only. Repaired tools are reassembled (and the pivot posts cemented) to ensure proper tension for optimum tool performance. Attempting to disassemble a Leatherman tool yourself may result in lost components and compromised tool functionality. It may also void your warranty protection.
06. I'm from outside North America and I want to buy a Leatherman tool. Do you sell tools outside the United States?
Our products are sold in approximately 90 countries around the world. Please refer to the Dealer Locator page at: www.leatherman.com/store to locate our authorized distributors. These distributors can help you find retailers in your area and/or help you with a warranty issue.
07. Can I have a different blade installed in my Leatherman tool?
Each Leatherman tool consists of a combination of features that makes it a unique multipurpose tool. We cannot alter or substitute different blade components from one tool version to another.
08. Is Leatherman interested in my idea for a new product or feature?
Always. Consumer feedback has played a significant role in improving our existing products and designing new ones. Our marketing department tracks suggestions and welcomes your feedback, so feel free to address your ideas to them (either in writing or at firstname.lastname@example.org). If you wish to submit an idea for which you already have or may obtain a patent or other ownership rights, please write to the Office of the President, Leatherman Tool Group, PO Box 20595, Portland OR 97294. Prior to receiving or considering your idea, we will present you with a disclosure agreement that describes your rights and ours in any idea you disclose to us.
09. I've had my Leatherman for a very long time and the belt sheath is just about worn out. How can I get a replacement?
There are several sheaths to choose from. All are pictured in our Accessories page at: www.leatherman.com/accessories. Please visit that section for information on how to order sheaths and other Leatherman gear.
10. Can I buy stock in Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.?
Sorry. Leatherman Tool Group is privately held and is very unlikely to go public in the foreseeable future.
11. All the blades on one handle of my Super Tool have been accidentally locked open. How can I get them unlocked?
Use a separate screwdriver or similar device to unlock the blades. With the handles closed together, insert the screwdriver into the slot created by the handle spring (where the handle locks onto the tool blades). Gently pry up the handle spring until one of the blades can be released.